Question about 1997 kawasaki ZZR 400
I can`t start my Kawasaki zzr 400 it turns over but will not fire and backfires occasionally @
Hi, Alan and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Quick disconnect check ball stuck.
14. Compression below 75 PSI.
15. A stuck-bent-burnt valve.
16. Improper valve clearance (too tight)
17. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
18. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
19. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
20. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections are loose or connected to the wrong cylinders.
21. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
22. Faulty neutral, clutch, kickstand safety switch.
23. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
24. Faulty or corroded run/stop switch.
25. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
26. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
27. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Won Start Just Turns Over And Backfires Fixed
3 Things to Look for When Your Motorcycle Won Start The Allstate Blog
OEM Parts for Kawasaki
Posted on Aug 04, 2018
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
That is so dependant upon "Many Variables!!--If you were shaped like a bullet`weighed no more than 90Lbs & were laying under the paint, with quality high octane rated fuel, without brakes binding , & no accessories like Panniers & the Engine had at least 16,000K'ms Legit on the clock ,& at sea level ( Not High Altitude & on a "moist day" without Pillion Passenger ,& with Engine having Air Cleaners near new,& providing each Cylinder registered similar Compression Pressure , Perhaps 15 Psi & The Engine had correct Viscosity oil , & Drive train was not "MALADJUSTED " this macine , with small tailwind could be expected to top the Ton!---Now, IF YOU REALLY wanted to know just how good KAWASAKI'S earlier prducts were . locate >1974 S3 --2Cycle Triple Fire Breather & Could out accellerate & out run HONDA K1 750/4 --Reason>?"Power To Weight Ratio"--I hope that has been useful!--Whilst I 'm on that aspect, the Triple sounded to be screaming ( As if Ultra High RPM, Not so, it being Clarke cycle ( 2 Stroke , has "power pulse each time piston climbs to Top Dead Centre & the Four Strokes , Rev so much harder, yet do not quite sound so !!---The Mighty Vincent V Twin was an exception though >Guaranteed each Macine would reach 120 MPH 998 CC British, with very short pushrods, & alongside one at The Ton, years pasyt I noted His Tacho was only showing 4,200RPM!--O K -Cheers, Stay Upright", Des
Posted on Jan 17, 2009
Check the induction coil and measure the current output(consumed for producing the sparks. Also since you must be having an electrical starter & your battery may be low on charge! Also get the wiring replaced as a precaution, since the battery-to motor plus from coil to plug. The rectifier charges the battery when not driving during night. Since this is a regular occurrence, the rectifier check should be last on the priority list................................sodeep
Posted on Aug 22, 2009
that box is called the air box, its where you engine breathes in its air. you say its leaking oil? these boxes are normally a bit oily but only really surface oil. If you can actually see liquid oil you have a problem with your petrol shut off. When the bike isnt running petrol will leak into the engine through the piston. When you start the bike all the petrol mixed with the engine oil will be pumped back into the air box. also check the level of the engine oil, if too much has been put in there then that can also be pumped back into the air box. If the petrol and oil has been mixing you must change the oil as petrol thins the oil and your bike could catch fire, the engine wear will be really bad.
Posted on Aug 29, 2009
Bottom of motor there is about a 31/2" round cover with a bolt through the middle thats the filter you may have to remove the exhaust to get to it on your bike
Posted on Jan 30, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 17, 2013 | 1991 kawasaki ZZR 400
Sep 25, 2013 | 1997 kawasaki ZZR 400
Feb 02, 2013 | 1997 kawasaki ZZR 400
Nov 17, 2012 | 2002 kawasaki ZZR 400
Aug 10, 2010 | 1997 kawasaki ZZR 400
Jun 11, 2010 | 1997 kawasaki ZZR 400
May 11, 2010 | 1995 kawasaki ZZR 400
Dec 01, 2008 | 1994 kawasaki ZZR 400
198 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: